Attending the 8am service today and hearing Ptr Jun’s preaching about the authority of God’s word in our lives reinforced my plan to share about what our daughter Danae has been learning these days. As much as possible, King and I read the Bible to our girls (though Noelle doesn’t really sit and listen yet and Danae gets distracted a lot still) before bedtime. We believe that we are sowing God’s word into the hearts and minds of our daughters whether they understand it already or not, whether they listen attentively or not, whether they stay awake for the whole thing, including processing and prayer, or not.

But teaching them about God does not begin or end at Bible time. Every situation is a teaching opportunity. An ordinary moment like a ride in the car can turn into a teaching moment when we teach our kids to be thankful for what we have as they see other kids selling sampaguita or begging for money in the street, when we teach them to pray even for a mere parking space, or when we teach them about helping others as we bring friends to the bus/fx station or straight to their homes. A hilarious instance like when Danae did not listen to me during Family Camp, kept walking on mud and fell like I said she would, became a teaching moment on listening and obeying right away. There are countless opportunities to teach our children.

When Danae says that she does not love someone, either a friend or family member because they’re not being nice to her, we always remind her that the Bible says that Jesus wants us to love others (John 13:34). When we hear her complain because she wants something that a friend has even though she already has one that’s a different version, we remind her of what she learned in Kids Church — “Do not compare. Be happy. (Exodus 20:17)” When we discipline her and she says that she will obey, we remind her to let her “yes” be “yes” and let her “no” be “no” (Matt 5:37). Let’s just hope and pray that she never says “no” to obeying haha.

We’ve taught her the 10 Commandments (Exodus 20:1-17), but for some reason, only the first 5 has stuck with her. Before, every time she would see a statue or a bust, she’d point it out, say that it’s an idol, and remind us that God said to not make idols. She says “Oh my gosh” a lot but months ago, she heard someone say “Oh my god” and started copying it, jokingly even, knowing that we disapproved. Now she knows not to take God’s name in vain (or disrespect His name). We also have the R word, which is respect. All we need to say is “remember the R word?” and she immediately quotes the 5th commandment, “Respect your parents.” Though of course sometimes, it takes her getting the rod before she actually does it.

I find that it’s easier to go to the Bible to explain to Danae why something she is doing is wrong, because she accepts it as the truth. It actually matters to her what God says, and she actually wants to obey God and make Him happy. In other words, God’s word already has authority in my little girl’s life! I’m so amazed because I was nowhere near her maturity when I was her age. Of course she’s only 4 & 1/2 and acts like it a lot, but we can see that the Word of God is already at work in her life. Wow. 🙂

Advertisements

About Phoebe Torres-Lucero

I am Phoebe Torres-Lucero, wife of a loving husband & dedicated pastor, King, and mother to three wonderful, smart, active little girls, Danae, Noelle and Gianna. Phoebe means bright and radiant. Torres means towers. Lucero means light. Put together, my name speaks of a tower of bright, radiant light. And that is what I hope to be as I write and share with you some of my experiences, especially on being a mom.

8 responses »

1. maypalacpac says:

Great one, peer. We do the same even though sometimes I wonder if Pablo does remember what we’re trying to teach him, we believe that in proper time, the Holy Spirit will remind Him to live the Word.

2. phoebelucero says:

exactly, peer. 🙂

3. Bethel Cruz says:

WOW!!!! I was amazed how as young as 4 1/2 knows the Word of God. In my time before, I am not like that. Although I grew up in Sunday school. I’m thankful because the parents nowadays are really changing and they really share the Word of God to their kids at a very young age.

AMAZING! 🙂

4. phoebelucero says:

true, bethel! thank God we have the opportunity to start while they are young. thank God because we have a spiritual family that believes in discipling the next generation! thank God I am continually being discipled and mentored, continually learning from other moms. 🙂

5. Jeremiah says:

Just a bit of Danae with me. I always think I don’t matter to me before, since I lay lowed from Kid’s ministry. But when I get in and sit beside them, she always go near to me and most of the time sit on my lap and asked me to open a candy for her.

I might made a small impact for her but sure she remembers those little things I had for her.

She is such a small girl who knows what she wants and gets what she wants and ask of me sometimes for it (hehe). But she knows when I do not allow. She just obeys.

I like the part about “yes be yes, no be no” This part is very important. Many kids does not obey their parents because their parents are inconsistent. I had encountered kids who are sad because of broken promises because their expectations to their parents are too high and made them very dissapointed. Then I learned not to promise anything to a kid, if I did I make sure they have it, because I would somehow loose my credibility as their teacher.

7 years in this ministry, I think 3 things Kids never forget: promises, experiences, and their parents. 🙂

• Jeremiah says:

Sorry, revise:

Just a bit of Danae with me. I always think I don’t matter to her before, since I lay lowed from Kid’s ministry. But when I get in and sit beside them, she always go near to me and most of the time sit on my lap and asked me to open her candy for her.

I might made a small impact to her but sure she remembers those little things I had for her.

I like the part about “yes be yes, no be no” This part is very important. Many kids does not obey their parents because their parents are inconsistent. I had encountered kids who are sad because of broken promises because their expectations to their parents are too high and made them very dissapointed since they did not meet their expectations. Then I learned not to promise anything to a kid, if I did I make sure they have it, because I would somehow loose my credibility as their teacher.

6. phoebelucero says:

Awww, Jeremiah, you’re great with kids! And it’s not surprising that Danae and most of the kids readily go to you when they see you. Yes, you and all teachers have an impact on the children you teach. In your case, positive, seeing how kids like you so much. I like that you learned not to make promises to them that you can’t keep. That’s very wise. Thank you for serving in Kids Church! 🙂

7. Mommy Che says: